Order Terms & Conditions
The SME Store offers SME members and nonmembers access to an extensive collection of manufacturing content including:
- Books, DVDs, and CD-ROMS
- eBooks and eChapters
- Streaming video on-demand and video download
- Technical papers
- Journals and yearbooks
Online: Use your American Express, MasterCard, Visa, or Discover card to order online at sme.org/store.
Mail: Send payment to SME, PO Box 6028, Dearborn, MI 48121.
All orders must be accompanied by money order, check, purchase order (subject to credit approval), or valid credit card information (American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover). Remit payment in U.S. funds drawn on U.S. banks. All prices subject to change without notice.
The SME Store offers SME members and nonmembers access to an extensive collection of manufacturing content. For questions on books, DVDs, CD-ROMS, eBooks, streaming video on-demand and video download, email email@example.com. For questions on technical papers, journals and yearbooks, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A volume discount is only available on SME-published/produced books and videos. Discount is off the list price for a single title as follows:
- 20% off 11-25 items of the same title
- 25% off 26-50 items of the same title
- 30% off 51-99 items of the same title
- 40% off 100 or more items of the same title
All orders must be placed by telephone or by purchase order to receive a volume discount. This discount is not applicable with any other discount and cannot be applied to the SME member rate.
Shipping and Handling
Shipping and handling charges apply to all orders, except digital delivery (eBooks, video on-demand, etc.), unless otherwise indicated. Shipping and handling charges vary by the weight of the product(s) ordered and the destination of delivery. Online delivery options include FedEx ground, FedEx priority overnight, and FedEx international.
Licensing of SME-published book and video products is available in North America through Knowledge Edge. Call Tooling U-SME at 866.706.8665 for additional information. Licensing outside of North America for video streaming is available through Kanopy. Call Kanopy at 415.926.5293 or email email@example.com.
For information on authorized distributors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If ordering directly from SME, pre-payment in U.S. funds must accompany your order and checks must be drawn on a U.S. bank. We accept international American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover. If payment does not accompany your order, a pro forma statement will be processed and mailed/faxed to you. When you return the pro forma with payment in U.S. funds, drawn on a U.S. bank, your order will be shipped promptly.
For fastest service, provide delivery instructions and valid credit card information. All credit card numbers are verified before order processing. To place orders for SME book and video titles in the United Kingdom, Europe, Middle East, and Africa contact:
Orders to the following states are subject to applicable sales tax for his/her state: California, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas. In Canada, a 5% GST tax will be added to the corresponding province tax. Rates subject to change. Tax-exempt organizations must supply certificate of tax-exempt status.
In-stock items are shipped within 24 business hours with anticipated delivery in 2-5 business days inside the U.S. and Canada. Other international delivery times can vary.
Books: All books may be examined for 15 days. If you’re not satisfied, you may return the book(s) with your invoice marked “cancel” for a refund on the purchase price. Books must be in sellable condition. Shipping and handling costs are non-refundable.
DVDs and CD-ROMs: DVDs and CD-ROMs are not refundable. Defective DVDs and CD-ROMS will be replaced for the same title. SME uses DVD-R format DVD discs that will only play in DVD players or in computers capable of reading DVD-Rs. There may be compatibility issues experienced with some older DVD players. If you accidentally scratch or damage your DVD, you can return it to SME for a replacement of the same title. Please include a fee of $25 per DVD in U.S. funds drawn from a U.S. bank.
Digital Products: eBooks, eChapters, technical papers, video on-demand (streaming video), video download products and the like are non-refundable.
Volume Book Orders: SME requires that you contact us for a return authorization (RA) prior to returning volume book order for credit or refund. SME will authorize returns per the following conditions:
- Return request must be made within 30 days of invoice date (180 days for school bookstores)
- The book(s) must be an active title
- Book(s) must be in new condition
- Book(s) must be returned with all original packaging
Damaged books and/or cover-only returns will not be issued credit or refunded. If by returning books the original order falls below the threshold for any discount received, your discount will be modified and refund/credit may be less than expected.
To obtain a return authorization, call SME Customer Care between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. ET, Monday-Friday at 800.733.4763 or 313.425.3000 ext. 4500. Please be prepared with your original SME invoice number, purchase order number, item stock number, title, and quantity of the book(s) to be returned. Upon approval, an RA form will be faxed to you with the RA number and return address label. Items authorized for return must be clearly labeled on the outside of the carton(s) with the RA number. Customer is responsible for all return shipping charges. CODs are not accepted.
Textbook Examination Copies
Instructors may request a review copy of SME-published books online at sme.org/review.
Purchase orders from authorized SME distributors must clearly state: “Materials Purchased for Resale.” If you are interested in becoming a distributor email email@example.com.
Usage Rules for Written Content Service
The SME Store offers an online service that gives you access to an extensive catalog of books, technical papers, and other written content (hereafter “Written Content”) in a digitally downloadable format (PDF, epub). This Written Content may be purchased over the Internet to content ready devices. Once a given Written Content has been selected and paid for, the purchaser can download the Written Content an unlimited number of times for personal use in the Digital Content Access area of their SME online account. SME reserves the right in our sole and absolute discretion to make changes from time to time and without notice in how we operate our service. Any description of how our service works should not be considered a representation or warranty with respect to how the service will always work.
- You shall be authorized to use the Written Content Service only for personal use.
- You shall not be authorized or entitled to download (other than through page caching necessary for personal use, or as otherwise expressly permitted), modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, duplicate, publish, license, create derivative works from, or offer for sale any information contained on, or obtained from or through Written Content service, without prior written consent from SME.
- You may not circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade, or thwart any of the content or digital rights protections in the Written Content service. You may not frame or utilize any framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or forms) without our prior written consent from SME.
- The delivery of any Written Content through the Written Content service does not transfer to you any commercial or promotional use rights to the subject Written Content.
- Any unauthorized use of the Written Content service or its contents will cause automatic termination of the limited license granted by SME and will result in the cancellation of your account and access.
Usage Rules for Video On-Demand Streaming and Video Download Service
The SME Store offers an online service that gives you access to SME’s extensive catalog of manufacturing training videos. These videos can be downloaded or viewed on-demand by streaming over the Internet to content ready devices. Once a given on-demand/streaming video has been selected and paid for, the purchaser can view the video an unlimited number of times for up to thirty (30) days. Once a given downloadable video has been selected and paid for, the purchaser may download the video in the Digital Content Access area of their SME online account. SME reserves the right in our sole and absolute discretion to make changes from time to time and without notice in how we operate our service. Any description of how our service works should not be considered a representation or warranty with respect to how the service will always work.
- You shall be authorized to use the video on-demand and video download service for personal use only.
- You have thirty (30) days after purchasing to view a given video through the video on-demand streaming service. Access to view any video within the video on-demand streaming service expires after thirty (30) days.
- You shall not be authorized or entitled to download (other than through page caching necessary for personal use, or as otherwise expressly permitted), modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, duplicate, publish, license, create derivative works from, or offer for sale any information contained on, or obtained from or through video on-demand streaming service, without our prior written consent.
- You may not circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade, or thwart any of the content or digital rights protections in the video on-demand service. You may not frame or utilize any framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or forms) without our prior written consent.
- The delivery of any video through the video on-demand streaming service does not transfer to you any commercial or promotional use rights in the subject videos. Any streaming capabilities are solely an accommodation to you and shall not constitute a grant, waiver, or other limitation of any rights of the copyright owners in any content embodied in any video.
- Any unauthorized use of the video on-demand service or its contents will cause automatic termination of the limited license granted by us and will result in the cancellation of your account and access.
Availability of the Video On-Demand Streaming Service
The availability of videos through video on-demand streaming will change from time to time and from country to country. You may only watch on-demand streaming videos through your SME account only in geographic locations where said service is offered. The content that may be available to watch may vary by geographic location. SME may use technologies to verify your geographic location.
The quality of the display of the streaming videos may vary from computer to computer and device to device and may be affected by a variety of factors, such as your location or the bandwidth or speed of your Internet connection. You are responsible for all Internet access charges. SME makes no representations or warranties about the quality of your streaming experience.
Personal Computer Requirements and Device Limitations
To enjoy on-demand streaming videos via your personal computer, tablet, or other mobile device, your equipment must satisfy certain system requirements which can be found at http://support.brightcove.com/en/docs/faq-viewing-brightcove-video. YOU MAY STREAM VIDEOS ON UP TO THREE (3) UNIQUE AUTHORIZED DEVICES. YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO STREAM SIMULTANEOUSLY ON ONLY ONE (1) SUCH DEVICE AT ANY GIVEN TIME. The number of devices and concurrent streams may change without notice to you.
Access Digital Content
To access digital content that was purchased:
- Visit sme.org and click “Register or Sign In” located in the upper right corner of the webpage.
- Enter your user name and password and click sign in.
- Click “Your Name [View Your Profile]” located in the upper right corner of the webpage.
- Click “Digital Content Access” under Purchases in the My Account section.